Sprend has a feedback forum but a regular FAQ is missing. Let me try and answer the most frequently asked questions right in this blog post.
If you can’t find the answer to your question send us an e-mail at email@example.com or call us at +46-(0)8-555 768 60.
- 1 How long is a file kept?
- 2 Why does a transfer get interrupted?
- 3 How can I send multiple files?
- 4 How to add more recipients?
- 5 Why does the email never reach the recipient?
- 6 The upload seems to be going on forever
- 7 The file is gone even though seven days have not passed!?
- 8 Does Sprend examine the contents of files?
- 9 I’d like to be able to …
- 10 Does Sprend work with my iPhone/Android/iPad … ?
How long is a file kept?
A file is kept in storage for at most 7 days (21 days for Sprend Pro users). But it is also the case that the file will be deleted 2 hours after is has been successfully downloaded one time.
Why does a transfer get interrupted?
Sprend uses built-in browser file transfer. It handles file uploads by “pretending” to request a web page while at the same time adding the file to the request. An http-request was never meant to be several megabytes heavy, and it lacks resumability.
It is the nature of Internet that interruptions are common. The reason for an interruption may lay in our server software, our local network, our internet connection, anywhere on the way to your ISP, in your wifi network, or even within your computer. The more time a transfer takes the higher the risk for interruptions.
There are more than one possible solution to this. Hopefully we will also implement one of them in the future.
You can try out FileCentral which offers an application (FileCentral Desktop) which you can use to send files and which supports retries and resume if there are connection problems during upload.
How can I send multiple files?
With Sprend it is only possible to send one file at a time. When you need to send e.g. a folder with images, try this:
a. Find the folder on your computer.
b. Right-click onthe folder, select Send To / Compressed Folder or the equivalent for your operating system.
c. A zip fil is created.
d. Now just sprend the zip file!
How to add more recipients?
You need a Sprend Pro account to send to more than one recipient.
Why does the email never reach the recipient?
Even when you enter a correct email address, it might never reach the recipient. Reasons?
- The recipients inbox is full.
- The receiving mailserver filters the message and spam.
- + yet more different reasons.
How to solve? Try one of these:
- Use pincode. Tell the recipient the pincode via phone, text, email or your preferred way of communication. The file may then be downloaded by entering the pincode.
- When an uploads the completes, a link to the download page it displayed. Copy this link and email with your normal email client.
- If the file has already been uploaded and it’s difficult or impossible to upload it again: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at +46-(0)8-55576860.
The upload seems to be going on forever
If the upload never ends, and there is no upload indication showing the progress, it means you need to close the browser window and try again. If that doesn’t work shut down the browser completely and try again.
The file is gone even though seven days have not passed!?
Most commonly, somebody already downloaded the file – perhaps the sender. 2 hours after the file has been downloaded it will be erased.
Does Sprend examine the contents of files?
We never examine files without explicit consent from the sender or recipient and then only as part of a troubleshooting process. We can however see file names as part of normal service monitoring.
I’d like to be able to …
You got a suggestions? Add it to sprend.uservoice.com.
Does Sprend work with my iPhone/Android/iPad … ?
Apple is a bit restrictive about what is up- and downloaded from iOS devices. Android devices are a bit more relaxed but content may not be viewable on a mobile device due to file size, type of content etc.